Teeth Whitening used to mean long and expensive trips to the dentist for a professional cleaning. Or, unsuccessful experiments with teeth whitening strips that make your teeth ache. Luckily for us, the at-home solutions for teeth whitening have expanded. There are top-quality products on the market that mimic a professional cleaning or whitening treatment.
Staining and discoloration of teeth are natural, but it shouldn’t cost an arm and a leg to get them back to pearly whites. Today, there are plenty of DIY solutions, but we found that the most effective are teeth whitening kits. With all the different products on the market, it can be difficult to find the right one for you here, we get down to the nitty-gritty of everything you need to know to help you choose the best at-home teeth whitening solution for you.
What Causes Stained Teeth?
Stains on the teeth can be caused by a number of different factors that are inevitable. However, there are many habits that increase the chance and severity of stained teeth. There are many foods and drinks that contain darkening ingredients. These include coffee, tea, alcohol, soda, candy, and much more.
Not only can external factors lead to yellowing teeth but there are a number of other factors that can cause darkening. These include disease, medication, and more. Natural aging can also speed up the process. Some people naturally have whiter enamel regardless of oral hygiene habits.
In conclusion, stained teeth are something that most of us will go through. We test a large range of products on the market and give you our top picks. This makes your journey to healthy, sparkling teeth quick and easy.
DIY Teeth Whitening Solutions
For shorter-term solutions, DIY teeth whitening solutions are an inexpensive habit to keep up your oral hygiene. While there are quick solutions such as whitening gels and strips, we find that natural solutions are better for the health of your teeth. Some can be just as effective as well. Some quick and easy habits to add to your routine for teeth whitening include:
1. Oil pulling– This method of teeth whitening has been around for thousands of years and is used mainly to remove bacteria. Oil pulling consists of swishing a natural oil in your mouth for around 15-20 minutes. Some popular oils for this practice include sunflower oil, sesame oil, or coconut oil. While not proven to whiten teeth, oil pulling successfully removes toxins in the mouth. This helps to get rid of bacteria that may cause plaque and inflammation. While this solution probably won’t turn yellow teeth into pearly whites, it is a great daily habit to keep up oral hygiene.
2. Baking soda brushing– Baking soda is known to have natural whitening effects. People use it in everything from cleaning products to toothpaste. To try this all you need is 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 2 teaspoons of water. Using the paste it makes, just brush your teeth normally. The natural whitening properties and abrasiveness of baking soda will help to reduce surface stains. Again this isn’t a quick solution to white teeth, but over time, this remedy can help to prevent the yellowing of teeth.
3. Hydrogen peroxide brushing– Like baking soda, hydrogen peroxide is another natural product that has whitening properties. It is used more for killing bacteria, which can also aid in reducing plaque and yellowing. Also, many whitening products contain hydrogen peroxide for their bleaching properties.
To do this, we recommend using a low concentration solution of around 1.5%-3% to avoid irritation and other negative side effects. You can also mix the solution with baking soda to make an effective paste. This option is a bit risky, as the strong concentration of hydrogen peroxide can begin to damage your tooth enamel.
Overall, DIY solutions to teeth whitening are better for daily or weekly habits that can reduce bacteria and plaque. We found that the best at-home remedy for teeth whitening is safe, yet effective teeth whitening kits. We list some of our favorite options below.
What to Look for in Teeth Whitening Kit
- Ingredients– The active ingredients in a teeth whitening kit are what makes it effective. We love kits such as the Dr. Brite Advanced Whitening System with hydrogen peroxide as an active ingredient, since it is natural yet functional. Some kits are choc-full of chemicals which can be dangerous to use continually in your mouth. Harmful chemicals can damage your enamel, cause irritation in your gums, and affect your overall health.
- Sensitivity– Sensitivity is another important factor when considering a whitening kit. For some kits with a high chemical percentage, continued use can cause sensitivity and achy teeth. Look for a kit with natural ingredients that also cater to sensitive teeth.
- Convenience– If you are looking for an at-home kit, you probably are a bit short on time. High-quality kits, such as the Dr. Brite kit can effectively whiten your teeth in less than 30 minutes. It is also wireless, which allows you to complete other tasks while whitening in your kit. If the kit you choose is just as much hassle to go to the dentist, it is not worth your time.
- Price– A teeth whitening kit does not have to break the bank to be effective. While some teeth whitening strips and gels are the most cost-effective, they are also not the safest and best option. There are plenty of kits on the market that have superior ingredients that are priced well.
5 Best Products for At-Home Teeth Whitening
After thorough testing of the range of teeth whitening products on the market, we have come up with a list of our favorites. Save yourself expensive whitening treatments at the dentist, and throw away those messy strips that just don’t work. Here are our top 5 product reviews to help you choose the best option for you.
Best Overall: Dr. Brite Wireless Advanced Whitening System
Dr. Brite’s products are expertly formulated by two established doctors in the field. All their whitening products are formulated with natural ingredients. This new advanced system uses hydrogen peroxide for quick whitening without sacrificing comfort.
This advanced whitening kit comes with two whitening pens (up to 60 treatments), a wireless LED accelerator light, Brite Booster Pen, and a shade guide and manual. The innovative Dual LED light uses blue and red light therapy. This speeds up the whitening process while also eliminating bacteria and reducing inflammation in the gums.
The process takes less than 30 minutes and whitens teeth in just one session. This product is our top overall pick as it uses natural and effective ingredients, is convenient to use, and is priced affordably for everyone to use.
Best Results: Dr. Brite TOP10 Teeth Whitening Bundle
This bundle is another popular kit from Dr. Brite for good reason. It is a complete kit that is designed for sensitive teeth. While it is slightly more expensive than the Advanced Whitening System, this kit is slightly more extensive.
The kit includes everything in the Advanced whitening kit and includes a Sonic toothbrush and their expertly formulated Extreme Whitening Toothpaste. This all-in-one kit is great for those that want a daily solution to whiten teeth as well. Using all the products together brings effective results even after continued use. This kit is everything you need for healthy, bright teeth.
Best Price: Dr. Brite Extreme Whitening- Oral Care Kit
This kit by Dr. Brite is great for those that are a bit hesitant to try out teeth whitening products. The bundle features the Extreme Whitening Toothpaste, Extreme Whitening Mouthwash, Extreme Whitening Oral Spray, and Extreme Whitening Pen. The ingredients in these products are completely natural and great for those with sensitive teeth. This kit is catered more for everyday oral care, and less a quick one-step whitening kit. However, this kit is still extremely effective in whitening teeth with the addition of food-grade hydrogen peroxide. It is also affordable and lasts up to over 45 days.
Best Whitening Pen: Dr. Brite Get Brite Teeth Whitening Pen
This teeth whitening pen is made with natural and organic ingredients that help to bring the whiteness back to your teeth. In just one treatment, you will notice visible results. It is also safe to use continually. The main ingredients include organic coconut oil and food-grade hydrogen peroxide.
This pen not only helps to erase stains but also is effective in preventing stains. The high-quality ingredients and safe formulation are great for sensitive teeth. This pen is also affordable and easy to use. Just throw it in your bag, and you are on your way to whiter teeth and brighter smiles. If you are looking for a quick and easy solution, this pen is the one for you.
Best Whitening Strips: Crest 3D White Strips
These quick and convenient strips are great for traveling or a fast solution to whiter teeth. The strips are easy to apply, and the high dosage of hydrogen peroxide whitens your teeth in just one hour. However, the dosage can also irritate those with sensitive teeth. If you are short on time, these are a great option. However, daily use of these strips is not recommended.
With all the different strips, gels, and kits that all claim to whiten your teeth in seconds it can be difficult to find the right product for you. We found that the Dr. Brite Advanced Teeth Whitening kit is the best overall solution. It is an affordable teeth whitening kit that does not sacrifice effectiveness or quality. Your journey to whiter, healthier teeth is just a step away.