President Trump on Friday condemned a federal appeals court decision that rejected the administration’s claims that the president’s emergency powers justify his sweeping tariff agenda.
The ruling affirmed a lower court opinion that the tariffs were not authorized under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA).
In a post on Truth Social, Trump defended the steep import taxes as necessary, adding that “ALL TARIFFS ARE STILL IN EFFECT!”
“Today a Highly Partisan Appeals Court incorrectly said that our Tariffs should be removed, but they know the United States of America will win in the end,” Trump wrote. “If these Tariffs ever went away, it would be a total disaster for the Country.”
“It would make us financially weak, and we have to be strong,” the president continued. “The U.S.A. will no longer tolerate enormous Trade Deficits and unfair Tariffs and Non Tariff Trade Barriers imposed by other Countries, friend or foe, that undermine our Manufacturers, Farmers, and everyone else.”
He added, “If allowed to stand, this Decision would literally destroy the United States of America.”
The IEEPA statute authorizes a president to issue some economic sanctions to counter an “unusual and extraordinary threat” during an emergency, but it does not permit the high tariff rates, the court ruled.
“Because we agree that IEEPA’s grant of presidential authority to ‘regulate’ imports does not authorize the tariffs imposed by the Executive Orders, we affirm,” the 7-4 majority wrote. The ruling will not go into effect until Oct. 14, allowing the administration time to appeal.
The president invoked the upcoming Labor Day holiday to appeal to supporters and signaled the administration’s plans to challenge the decision.
“At the start of this Labor Day weekend, we should all remember that TARIFFS are the best tool to help our Workers, and support Companies that produce great MADE IN AMERICA products,” the president continued. “For many years, Tariffs were allowed to be used against us by our uncaring and unwise Politicians.”
“Now, with the help of the United States Supreme Court, we will use them to the benefit of our Nation, and Make America Rich, Strong, and Powerful Again!” he added.
Trump was the first president to impose tariffs under IEEPA when he cited the emergency law earlier this year to place duties on imports from Canada, China and Mexico, pointing to the fentanyl crisis. He later called another emergency over trade deficits between the U.S. and all foreign trading partners, creating a baseline 10 percent global tariff and announcing additional “reciprocal” tariffs for others. The executive actions have sparked a slew of legal battles.
In Friday’s decision, the appeals court found that Trump had “no clear congressional authorization” for duties of the “magnitude” that the president imposed, calling the administration’s justification for the efforts “a wafer-thin reed on which to rest such sweeping power.”
The White House defended the administration’s moves after the decision, saying Trump has “lawfully exercised” the tariff powers given by Congress to defend national security interests and protect the U.S. from foreign threats.
“We look forward to ultimate victory on this matter,” White House spokesman Kush Desai said in a statement.