When you buy through our links, we may earn money from our affiliate partners. Learn more.
- As travel resumes following the novel coronavirus, many East Coasters may be looking for a seaside getaway, scenic fall leaf-peeping, or cozy winter escape.
- Airbnb is a great option for travelers since it offers private vacation rentals that remove interactions with other guests, which promotes social distancing.
- Maine is especially ideal for those seeking to explore the outdoors, take in picturesque scenery, enjoy fall foliage, and feast on lobster.
- We looked for top-rated Airbnbs across Maine at every price point, ranging from $65 to $395 per night to start.
- Read more: Everything to know about vacation rentals, including the best booking platforms, COVID-19 safety info, and the best places to go in the US
As travel resumes following the novel coronavirus, many travelers may be seeking a safer-seeming vacation within driving distance. For East Coasters, Maine is a charming coastal getaway ideal for every type of traveler.
Whether you want to snap a photo of the iconic Portland Head Lighthouse, hike in stunning Acadia National Park, watch the waves roll in, or explore downtown Portland, Maine has it all and then some.
For those worried about whether Airbnbs are safe, consider that experts say staying at an Airbnb as opposed to a hotel is actually one of the safest travel options right now. That’s because, typically, renters are booking the whole house and won’t interact with other guests. After all, driving your own car and renting a house where you’re the only inhabitant is quite different from entering a crowded airport, boarding a plane, and checking-in to a large resort.
We also asked experts to weigh in on other travel risks like renting a car, flying, and more, which you should read before booking any trip. However, it’s important to note that without a vaccine, there is no guarantee as to safety. We recommend following guidelines and advice from organizations such as the CDC and WHO, and practicing safety measures including wearing a mask, washing your hands, and maintaining social distancing.
Airbnb also announced rigorous new procedures including an Enhanced Cleaning Protocol with strict policies on personal protective equipment, approved disinfectants, and waiting periods, as well as requiring all hosts and guests to agree to a new safety mandate.
If you do decide to head north to Maine, be sure to read their local guidelines for the most up-to-date info. Currently, travelers from some states may face restrictions such as the need to provide a recent, negative COVID-19 test, or quarantine for 14 days.
If a trip to Maine is still on your radar, there are plenty of affordable and beautiful Airbnb options to consider. I’ve done the hard work of culling through hundreds of properties to seek out the best based on the following parameters:
- All listings are for entire homes, in line with current expert recommendations for safety.
- All are highly-rated Airbnb listings with a rating of 4.8 or higher.
- Decor isn’t run of the mill. All properties incorporate unique furniture, accents, and exceptional attention to detail.
- The properties range in price from $65 to $395 per night to start, though peak seasons may see higher rates.
- Homes have availability in the coming weeks and months, as of the time of publishing, or are so special, they’re worth booking far in advance.