Lucas Browne has angrily hit back at suggestions that he took a dive during his shock first-round defeat to Paul Gallen on Wednesday night.
The former world champion was knocked out by Gallen, who weighed in 15kg lighter than his rival, after just 115 seconds in Woolongong and looked helpless throughout.
Former rugby league star Gallen had claimed that Browne’s preparation for the fight had been poor and that he had underestimated him, something that appeared to be true of the basis of Big Daddy’s performance.
Watch Boxing Live & On-Demand on Kayo. Selected international fights, classic bouts and more. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >
His efforts were branded as “pathetic” by another Aussie former world champ Billy Dib, but Browne fired back in an angry 5am Facebook post.
“It’s so f***ing sad to see so many bullshit comments, attacks, haters and people saying I took a dive,” the 42-year-old wrote. “I had a fight, I fought s***, couldn’t recover, have been out the ring for too long and got beat, end of story.
“I got in there, had a go, failed, and that’s it … full credit to Gallen. Thank you to the fans, supporters and sponsors, and I do apologise.”
In a separate message on Instagram, Browne admitted that an early shot to the head wobbled him for the rest of the one-round fight.
“I’m not marked up,” he said. “I believe I got hit back of the head, behind the ear and it f***ed up my equilibrium and I basically couldn’t recover,” Browne said.
Browne was dropped twice before the referee had no choice but to end the fight, leaving all those in attendance in Woolongong in complete shock.