A BRITISH tourist has died after fire ripped through a spa at a luxury five-star hotel.
The man – believed to be a dad-of-two in his 40s – was trapped by the blaze at the resort in Marrakech, Morocco.
Holidaymakers screamed in terror as the fire took hold at the Jaal Riad Resort at around 4pm on Wednesday.
Police and paramedics rushed to the scene but were unable to save the man, who died from smoke inhalation.
A local worker who was also trapped died.
Sources say the dead man was on holiday with friends and was in the spa when the fire happened.
One source said: “It was a truly horrific incident.
“He was a tourist visiting the area with friends and they have had to break the news to his family.
“Everyone is heartbroken. They were in the spa when the fire happened and they were trapped.”
A spokesman for the local fire service said crews attended after getting a call at 4pm.
A spokesperson for the hotel confirmed a guest had died but added: “We can’t comment further because of an ongoing investigation.”
They added that the hotel had reopened after the blaze.
The hotel’s website boasts how it is in central Marrakech and a ten minute drove from Menara airport.
It offers a fitness centre with a hot tub, and a garden with solarium as well as a spa and swimming pool.
Prices for guests are up to £200 a night.
Last year a British woman plunged 13,600ft to her death after attempting to scale a mountain in Morocco.
According to local reports, the woman and her climbing partner had decided to climb Mount Toubkal without the help of a tour guide.
More to follow… For the latest news on this story keep checking back at The Sun Online.Thesun.co.uk is your go to destination for the best celebrity news, football news, real-life stories, jaw-dropping pictures and must-see video.
Like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/thesun and follow us from our main Twitter account at @TheSun.