The Canberra Raiders have sacked centre Curtis Scott.
Curtis Scott’s most recent off-field incident saw him charged with assault
Scott fronted Canberra’s board last week, after which it was determined his contract would be terminated
The 23-year-old signed with the Raiders at the start of 2020 on a four-year deal
The troubled 23-year-old’s career had been in the balance following two major off-field incidents since he joined Canberra from Melbourne 18 months ago.
“The Canberra Raiders board of directors today decided to terminate the contract of Curtis Scott effective immediately,” the club said in a statement on Monday.
“The board decided that Curtis’ prior behaviour and recent assault charge has brought the club into disrepute, and they could not ignore this and the responsibilities that his NRL playing contract entails.
The board said the club would continue to support Scott’s rehabilitation and it would be in contact with NRL Welfare in this regard.
The Raiders said the board carefully considered the statements made at a “show cause” hearing with Scott on August 17 and the material supplied afterward before making its decision.
Scott was accused of assaulting two police officers on Australia Day last year. He was tasered by NSW police and charged with resisting arrest before the case was thrown out in court.
In May of 2021 he was involved in a nightclub incident and charged with assault, with the Raiders only becoming aware of the incident through the media one week after.
He was stood down at the time, and later received a three-game ban and fined $30,000 by the NRL for bringing the game into disrepute.
Scott recently turned to Alcoholics Anonymous and psychiatric treatment in a bid to save his NRL career.
He said the anxiety and scars of the incidents left him feeling like he had hit “absolute rock bottom”.
The Raiders said the club would make no further comment.
Scott, who has not appeared in the NRL since round 12, played 10 of his 71 career games this season.