Even Conor McGregor’s training partner has been stunned by the UFC star’s enormous new frame.
The Irishman has not been in the Octagon since breaking his leg against Dustin Poirier in July and since then, recovery and rehabilitation has dominated his days.
The Sun reports McGregor has gradually been increasing the intensity of his training sessions but much of his early process was strength training, having been limited to what he can do while nursing the broken leg.
Watch UFC 270: Ngannou vs Gane LIVE on Main Event available on Kayo & Foxtel, Sunday 23rd January from 2pm AEDT. ORDER NOW >
It meant McGregor piled on the pounds and revealed at one point he weighed as much as 86kg — that’s 15kg heavier than he was when weighing in for his bout against Poirier six months ago.
And judging by his recent Instagram post, the former two-weight UFC champion has kept on the muscle mass.
His SBG teammate and regular sparring partner Cian Cowley commented: “Steak and eggs the size of you.”
And Cowley was not the only one, as a fan posted: “Heavyweight champ next?”
Another wrote: “Heavyweight champion?? (Francis) Ngannou stands no chance.”
The focus on McGregor’s body transformation continues after Poirier and former UFC star Chael Sonnen made mention of his physique last month. Poirier suggested McGregor looked a “little puffy” while Sonnen voiced his concern.
“That picture of him at 190 (pounds) … he looked like he was extremely bloated,” Sonnen said on his podcast.
“And when somebody weighs 190 – that’s used to weighing 155, 175; what you have to wonder is how. How did you get this big? Why? The answer to me seems redundantly obvious.
“You’re not training. You cannot train the way you need to prepare in MMA, which we’re well aware. We are well aware that Conor is not. He’s got the hurt leg and he’s not doing what he is used to. He’s not jumping rope. He’s not running. He’s not pulling the sled. He’s not sparring. We get it. He’s having to do other exercises.
“If you’re not doing our sport, who gives a damn what you weigh? If your calorie deficit to intake got so far out of control, that you’re bigger than you’ve ever been, that’s not a good thing.”
Poirier — who was beaten by McGregor in 2014 but won their 2021 rematch by knockout — later went on to challenge for the lightweight belt. But he was beaten by champion Charles Oliveira, 32, who went on to call out The Notorious.
Sonnen predicted McGregor could leapfrog No. 1 contender Justin Gaethje, 33, to a lightweight title shot.
“There’s a story going around that Conor McGregor is going to return right into a title fight with Charles Oliveira,” Sonnen said on his YouTube channel.
“To support that story is a guy who has a say in this called Charles Oliveira. Charles said, ‘Justin Gaethje, you’ve done everything right and it’s no disrespect but step aside, I’m getting my (fight with McGregor)’.
“OK, well, we have to listen to the champion of the world. We don’t wanna disrespect Justin Gaethje but put that on hold.
“Oliveira gets to do what’s best for him and he’s made it very clear that he will push the number one contender aside, whoever the hell it is. Happens to be Justin Gaethje.
“But whoever it is, he will push them aside if it means (he can fight) against Conor McGregor.”
This article originally appeared on The Sun and was reproduced with permission