Donald Trump is pretty happy about the sizeable windfall coming his way.
TMZ reports the former US President is boasting to friends about making an “obscene” amount of money from a surprise new gig this weekend.
Trump and his son, Donald Trump Jr, will act as boxing commentators for Evander Holyfield’s fight against Vitor Belfort in Florida on Sunday (AEST).
Watch Evander Holyfield vs Vitor Belfort live on Main Event available on Foxtel and Kayo, Sunday 12th September from 9am AEST. ORDER NOW >
Triller Fight Club is promoting the event and said Trump will “host and commentate” on the night.
“I love great fighters and great fights,” Trump said in a press release. “I look forward to seeing both this Saturday night and sharing my thoughts ringside. You won’t want to miss this special event.”
The event was already a big enough circus even before the addition of Trump as a commentator.
Belfort, 44, is a former MMA star who fought in the UFC and was supposed to step in the ring against Oscar De La Hoya but the ex-boxer tested positive for Covid-19 and was ruled out. In his place stepped 58-year-old Holyfield — who famously had his ear bitten by Mike Tyson during his heyday.
Trump called into a pre-fight press conference on Friday and when asked who he would most like to face in a boxing match, named the man who toppled him at last year’s US presidential election.
“If you said if I had to box somebody, I think probably my easiest fight would be Joe Biden,” Trump said. “Because I think he’d go down very, very quickly.”
There are plenty of people who don’t think Holyfield should be lacing up the gloves again, given his age. MMA reporter Ariel Helwani responded to vision of Holyfield sparring at a media event to promote the upcoming bout by tweeting: “This makes me uncomfortable.”
Holyfield hasn’t fought since 2011, but he had signed to fight Kevin McBride earlier this year — with a possible future fight against his old nemesis Tyson on the horizon.
After the proposed McBride fight failed to materialise, Holyfield posted on Instagram in August that he’d been “training hard for months”.
His fight against Belfort, which is being held on the 20th anniversary of the September 11 attacks, was originally scheduled to take place in Los Angeles. However, it was moved to Florida after California boxing authorities refused to sanction the bout because of fears over the welfare of Holyfield — who will be a month shy of his 59th birthday on fight night.