Canadian Formula 1 driver Lance Stroll has revealed he tested positive for COVID-19 after the Eifel Grand Prix in Germany earlier this month.
- Stroll had been feeling unwell since the Russian Grand Prix in September
- He is the second F1 driver to test positive
- Stroll is in ninth place on 57 points heading into this weekend’s race
The 21-year-old said he had spent 10 days at home in self-isolation with mild symptoms, and was now clear and ready to race at the Portuguese Grand Prix this weekend.
“I was tested again on Monday this week and my results were negative,” the Racing Point driver said on Twitter.
“I feel in great shape and I can’t wait to be back with the team and to race in Portugal.”
Stroll pulled out of the Eifel Grand Prix at the Nürburgring a day before the October 11 race because he felt unwell.
He was replaced at short notice by Germany’s Nico Hülkenberg, who started from the back of the grid and ended up finishing eighth.
Racing Point said at the time that Stroll, whose father Lawrence owns the Silverstone-based team, had felt unwell since the Russian Grand Prix on September 27.
Stroll is the second Formula 1 driver to have tested positive for coronavirus, the other being his Mexican teammate Sergio Perez, who missed two races in August.
Stroll is in ninth place in the drivers’ standings on 57 points.
The first practice at Algarve is scheduled for Friday.