This Apple Pie Recipe combines the sweet and tender flavors of baked apples with a deliciously flaky pie crust.
This recipe is a favorite all year long and great for the holidays served along with a perfect pumpkin pie and a classic pecan pie for a holiday feast!
Why You’ll Love This Apple Pie
Apple pie has inspired so many of my recipes from apple pie roll ups to baked apple pie bread but there really is nothing like the perfect classic apple pie recipe.
- It’s literally as ‘easy as pie’.
- It doesn’t need any fancy ingredients, it’s a simple classic.
- The tips below ensure perfection every time.
- A flaky crust, tender apples that are just the right amount of sweet.
- Works perfectly with store-bought or homemade pie crust.
- It’s perfect. Always.
What Kind of Apples for Apple Pie?
With an apple pie recipe, you want apples that are tart, sweet, and firm. You want the apples to be strong enough not to break down completely while you bake the apple pie, but light enough that they are soft when they bake. Below are our favorite apples to use in apple pie!
- Granny Smith – Tart, green, flavorful, and perfect for apple pie
- Golden Delicious – Softer, sweet, and yellow in color
- Northern Spy – Red and green, honey notes, and on the sweet side
- Idared – Red in color, not too harsh in flavor, on the tart side
How To Make Apple Pie
To make a classic apple pie recipe, begin with a double pie crust.
- Prep Apples – To make apple pie filling, thinly slice, core and peel apples. I slice them between 1/4″-1/8″ thick.
- Make Filling – Toss all of the apple pie ingredients together (per the recipe below). In this apple pie filling, the addition of a bit of flour helps to absorb the liquids that the apples release when they bake.
- Roll Pie Crust – If you made homemade crust, roll it to 1/8” thickness (I roll them bottom out to about 12″ circles) and line a 9″ pie plate. Set aside.
- Fill & Bake – Fill the crust with the apple filling and top with a second crust (or a lattice crust) and bake.
How Long to Bake Apple Pie
Start the apple pie at a higher temperature to keep the crust from getting soggy. Depending on your apples, the pie can sometimes bubble over so place it on a pan lined with parchment to save my oven any mess.
Bake homemade apple pie at 425°F for 15 minutes and then reduce the heat to 375*F for an additional 35-40 minutes or until the apples are tender and the pie crust is golden.
If the outer crust starts to brown too much, cover the edges with foil or a pie crust shield.
Tips for Perfect Pie
- Apple peels tend to get chewy when cooked it’s always best to peel the apples first.
- Unlike strawberry rhubarb pie or blueberry pie, you don’t need to worry about adding tapioca other thickening ingredients as apples don’t release a ton of juices like a berry does.
- Use a whole top crust or a lattice crust. If using a a full crust, be sure to cut a few slits in the crust to allow the steam to escape.
- If the outer crust starts to brown too much, cover the edges with foil or a pie crust shield.
- The top crust can be replaced with a crumble to make a crumb pie.
Does Apple Pie Need to be Refrigerated?
Allow the apple pie to cool slightly before serving. This also ensures you won’t end up with a liquidy pie. Serve it warm with ice cream and enjoy!
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator or on the counter for up to 2 days.
Favorite Apple Recipes
Did you enjoy this Apple Pie Recipe? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
Apple Pie Recipe
A classic apple pie recipe with tender apples in a flaky crust.
Follow Spend with Pennies on Pinterest
Preheat oven to 425°F.
In a large bowl, combine all filling ingredients and toss well. Set aside.
Line a 9″ pie plate with pastry dough. Fill with apple filling.
Roll out top crust, place overtop of the pie. Seal edges and remove any excess dough.
Beat egg white and 2 teaspoons water. Cut 4-5 slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape. Brush with egg mixture and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake at 425°F for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 375°F and bake an additional 35-40 minutes or until the crust is golden and the apples are tender.
Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
Calories: 318, Carbohydrates: 49g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 12g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 3mg, Sodium: 193mg, Potassium: 147mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 22g, Vitamin A: 95IU, Vitamin C: 5mg, Calcium: 14mg, Iron: 1.4mg
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
Keyword apple pie, apple pie recipe, easy, homemade
Course Dessert, Pie