A source said the legal framework proposed by transport authorities to regulate ride-hailing services was approved by the Executive Council, the city’s top decision-making body, in a special meeting on Thursday.
The Post learned that during the meeting, authorities amended the previously proposed age limit for vehicles used for ride-hailing services, as such vehicles already need to undergo annual inspections.
The lower threshold also sought to make it easier for part-time drivers to join the industry, the source said.
“Changing the age limit from seven to 12 years old is actually a natural extension. Twelve means some flexibility to enter,” a separate government source said.
The insider said the original idea was to start at seven years and allow for annual renewal until a vehicle reached 12 years old.