- You can convert a JFIF file to JPG, though the two formats are nearly identical, and most software will open a JFIF file as a JPG.
- On a Mac, you need to rename the JFIF file extensions to JPG and then Mac software will open JFIF files.
- You can use the free online file converter called Convertio to turn JFIF files into JPGs.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
If you find yourself with a JFIF image file, don’t worry: Not only is it easy to convert the file to the more common JPG format, but it is already a kind of JPG file that you should be able to use in almost any program without a problem. JFIF is an older version of the modern JPG file format, and you may most commonly encounter a JFIF file when downloading images from the internet.
A JFIF file uses JPG compression, but a few relatively minor details in the architecture of the file format are different. These days, almost any program that opens and uses a standard JPG file will recognize a JFIF file as well. Even so, it’s easy to convert.
How to convert JFIF to JPG on Windows
Most photo and graphics programs in Windows recognize any JFIF file as a JPG, making it easy to open the file. You can then use the Save As command to save it as a JPG. Here’s how to do that in Paint.
1. Start Paint. Find it by searching for “paint” in the Start search box.
2. Open the JFIF file. You can drag the JFIF into an open Paint window or you can browse for it by clicking Filethen Open.
3. Click File, Save Asand then JPEG Picture. Specify where you want to save the new file.
How to convert JFIF to JPG on Mac
Even though the JFIF and JPG file formats are virtually identical, the MacOS isn’t designed to recognize files with a .jfif file extension. Even so, Mac programs can open JFIF files if they think the images are JPGs — you just need to rename them.
1. Start Finder and then locate the JFIF file you want to convert.
2. Click the filename, wait a moment and click again. You can now edit the filename.
3. Change the .jfif file extension to .jpg and press Enter.
4. In the pop-up dialog box, confirm you want to make this change.
The Mac and your photo software will now treat the image as if it was a JPG. If you want, you can open it in Preview and save it as a JPG to make sure the file structure is 100% compatible with the JPG file format.
1. Double-click the file and it will appear in the Preview app.
2. In the menu bar, click File and then Export.
3. In the Format section of the dialog box, set the file name and destination, then click Save.
Third-party conversion methods
As a general rule, any third-party app on your Windows computer or Mac will be able to open a JFIF file as if it were a JPG, and you can use the file as is or you can save it as a JPG at that point. You can open JFIF files in Photoshop, for example, or any other major photo software. You can also convert a JFIF file to a JPG using the free online file converter Convertio.
1. Open Convertio in any web browser.
2. Click Choose Files and select the JFIF file.
3. Make sure the to: menu is currently set to JPG.
4. Click Convert.
5. The file will be converted and you can download it to your computer.