Lewis Hamilton has insisted that more can be done to tackle inequality in Formula One after Lando Norris condemned the sport’s decision to scrap the pre-race kneeling ceremony ahead of the new season. All drivers were given the opportunity to make any gesture they wished to address important issues such as LGBTQ+ rights and racial injustice over the course of the last two years.
The ceremony was accompanied by a short video clip of the drivers speaking about various societal problems and the need for change before they were allowed to perform their gestures prior to the start of each race.
However, F1 boss Stefano Domencali recently confirmed that it would be scrapped for 2022 in order to switch the focus ‘from gesture to action’ in a bid to improve diversity and inclusion.
Hamilton welcomed the decision to push for tangible progress when quizzed on the matter at Thursday’s pre-season test but insisted that more can still be done to tackle important issues within the sport.
The 37-year-old has been vocal about the need for motorsport to increase diversity and is helping to push for changes via the Hamilton Commission and his Mission 44 charity.
“It’s about traction now, so that’s something that I look forward to seeing over a period of time,” said Hamilton.
JUST IN: Lewis Hamilton accused of ‘attention-seeking’ after pre-season silence
“I had a great call last year with all the teams about getting included in this charter, so that every team is trying to push for diversity.
“I guess just really rather than just talking about these things and making these gestures, actually [it’s about] really pushing.
“I don’t know whether we need that one moment. We should be able to do it at any stage really.
“But I did feel that the overall slogan last year with all the different things compiled into one, I think we can do more and be more impactful somehow.
“But I don’t know what that is just yet.”
A number of drivers have spoken out against F1’s decision to end the pre-race ceremonies ahead of the new season.
Norris expressed his surprise at the move earlier this week by claiming that not enough progress has been made over the last two years to justify scrapping the initiative.
“I was a bit surprised, I think the issues that we’re tackling are not going to be gone within two years,” said the McLaren driver.
“Therefore I was a bit surprised. I hope that as drivers, we find a way to get together and find a slot of still expressing topics that are important to us.
“Probably not all the drivers care, but I think there’s some that really do care. And it’ll be great to get together.
“But probably it was getting a bit too strong and individual for the business side of things.”
MORE TO FOLLOW
We’ll be bringing you the very latest updates, pictures and video on this breaking news story.
Stay up to date with all the big headlines, pictures, analysis, opinion and video on the stories that matter to you.
Follow us on Twitter @DExpress_Sport – the official Daily Express & Express.co.uk Twitter account – providing real news in real time.
We’re also on Facebook offering your must-see news, features, videos and pictures throughout the day to like, comment and share from the Daily Express, Sunday Express and Express.co.uk.