The January transfer window may seem like a distant memory, but that doesn’t mean the rumour mill has shut down! Speculation over summer moves is heating up, so check out the latest gossip below, and see all official deals here.
TOP STORY: Liverpool eye Inter defender Bastoni
Liverpool are among the clubs interested in Inter Milan defender Alessandro Bastoni, according to Gazzetta dello Sport.
Bastoni, 21, is also a player of interest for Barcelona and Bayern Munich and is rated at around €50 million by his club. Liverpool just brought in two central defenders in Ozan Kabak (on loan from Schalke) and Ben Davies (from Preston for £2.5m) in January, but the verdict is very much out on both so far.
The Italy international has impressed this season for Serie A leaders Inter, starting 24 games, and the club are hopeful of getting him to sign a new contract.
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (U.S. only)
– ESPN+ viewer’s guide: Bundesliga, Serie A, MLS, FA Cup and more
15.25 GMT: Manchester United and Napoli have made offers to sign AC Milan midfielder Hakan Calhanoglu when his contract expires this summer, claims Calciomercato.
Calhanoglu, 27, has yet to agree a new contract at San Siro and could leave on a free transfer. The Turkey international has both clubs, and another unnamed club from Serie A, on his trail but is reportedly happy to stay at Milan if new terms can be agreed.
14.11 GMT: Both Jadon Sancho and Erling Haaland have reasons to play well for Borussia Dortmund against Manchester City in the Champions League quarterfinal.
Julien Laurens feels Dortmund’s quarterfinal vs. Manchester City is an interesting one for Jadon Sancho and Erling Haaland.
13.30 GMT: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer said Paul Pogba is enjoying life at Manchester United but refused to be drawn on the midfielder’s long-term future with contract talks planned further down the line.
Pogba starred for United on his comeback from injury, scoring in the 1-0 win over AC Milan on Thursday to book a place in the quarterfinals of the Europa League. He will enter the final year of his contract in the summer and although Solskjaer said talks are planned, he added that he cannot say whether the Pogba will stay.
“I think everyone in the team and Paul included are just focused on doing as well as we can this season,” Solskjaer said on Thursday. “I don’t think any energy would be used on the speculation.
“Of course we’ve got discussions and talks. When you see Paul playing like tonight [against Milan], when you see him come back training, it shows how much he cares for us and how much he enjoys playing and how much we can benefit from having him here.”
13.09 GMT: Manchester United have secured a five-year shirt sponsorship deal with global technology company TeamViewer, with sources telling ESPN’s Mark Ogden that the contract is worth £47m-a-year — an annual drop of £17m on their expiring partnership with Chevrolet.
United’s world-record deal with Chevrolet, which was agreed in 2012 before starting officially in 2014, was worth £64m -a-year and remains the biggest ever struck by a football club for shirt sponsorship.
12.49 GMT: Barcelona will offer Lionel Messi a lifetime contract to counter-act the wage reduction the club will request with respect to his current salary, according to Mundo Deportivo.
Messi’s stay at the club beyond his current deal, which expires in the summer, is a priority for Barca and newly elected club president Joan Laporta.
Laporta is looking to meet with Messi’s entourage in the coming days with respect to the Argentina captain’s future. The proposed deal, which would have no expiry date, would allow the 33-year-old to decide when he will stop playing for Barca and give him the opportunity to remain at the club in another capacity when he decides to hang up his boots.
Former Barcelona captain Andres Iniesta signed a similar deal in October 2017 but left for Japanese club Vissel Kobe in 2018.
The salary reduction for Messi would help Barca’s delicate financial situation but also serve as an example to the rest of the Barcelona players.
12.17 GMT: Atletico Madrid midfielder Saul niguez has requested to leave the club this summer, according to The Stringer.
Saul, 26, has lost his starting place at Atletico and was left out of Spain’s squad for the upcoming 2022 World Cup qualifiers. He is contracted to Atletico until June 2026 and is one of the highest paid players at the club.
However, the player’s entourage believes his current situation at Atletico is difficult to revert and that the best option for Saul is to leave this summer. Atletico would reportedly facilitate Saul’s departure at the end of the season, but the player does not have any firm offers.
11.49 GMT: Cristiano Ronaldo has been linked with a move away from Juventus. But would he go?
Janusz Michallik says Cristiano Ronaldo’s drive and determination for success will keep him at Juventus.
11.30 GMT: The Champions League quarterfinal draw has thrown up an intriguing transfer prospect.
Man City’s clash with Borussia Dortmund will represent in-demand forward Erling Haaland‘s first visit to the Etihad Stadium. The Norway international is a transfer target for several of Europe’s top sides and his father Alf-Inge played for City.
11.19 GMT: An unnamed club from MLS are interested in signing Wanchope Abila from Boca Juniors, according to ESPN Argentina reporter Diego Monroig.
Monroig says that the Argentine side are yet to receive any official approach, but Abila’s camp are sure that an offer will arrive in the coming days. The 31-year-old forward recently turned down offers from Penarol and Nacional but could be tempted to try a new experience in MLS as he is struggling to secure regular playing time under Miguel Angel Russo.
10.58 GMT: Osasuna forward Jonathan Calleri has added fuel to the talk linking him with a return to Sao Paulo after admitting that a player “would like to return where he was happy.”
Calleri, 27, had a brief but successful spell at the Brazilian side in 2016 when he scored 12 goals in 17 games.
The forward is on loan at Osasuna from Deportivo Maldonado but recent reports in Brazil claim that new Sao Paulo manager Hernan Crespo could be interested in luring him back to the Brazilian league.
“As a player it was the place where I was most happy and I enjoyed playing football and obviously, where one was happy, one would always like to return,” the former West Ham forward told 90min.
10.37 GMT: Remember when Man United wanted to get rid of Paul pogba?
ESPN FC’s Don Hutchison gushes over Paul Pogba’s contributions vs. AC Milan in the Europa League.
09.53 GMT: Schalke have opened talks with former head coach Ralf Rangnick over a possible appointment in an unspecified position, says Bild.
In February, struggling Schalke sacked their first-team leadership to become the first club in Bundesliga history with five different coaches in one season. They are 11 points adrift of safety with only one win from 25 games and are facing their first relegation from the top-flight in over 30 years.
Rangnick, 62, has been linked with the Germany job when Joachim Low ends his tenure after Euro 2020 this summer. However, having worked at Schalke for two stints as a head coach previously, an independent group of 14 club members — “influential Schalke supporters with an economic and political background” — have agreed to join forces with the current supervisory board to try to bring in Rangnick.
Bild report that the former RB Leipzig chief, who left his position at the club when Julian Nagelsmann joined in 2019 and then departed as Red Bull’s global head of soccer the following summer, has asked for a total of €12m for a five-year contract.
09.29 GMT: Marcelo has become the latest to spark rumours about a possible Real Madrid return for Cristiano Ronaldo.
The Madrid left-back commented “Soon ” on an Instagram post from 433 praising the connection between the pair, who were close friends during their time together at the Bernabeu.
Earlier this week, Zinedine Zidane replied “maybe” when asked by Sky Sport Italy if a reunion was on the cards.
Ronaldo has faced criticism after Juventus’ elimination from the Champions League, and has been suggested as a goal-guaranteeing alternative for Real Madrid this summer if they’re unable to land PSG’s Kylian Mbappe or Dortmund’s Erling Haaland.
08.43 GMT: Barcelona coach Ronald Koeman is closely monitoring Barcelona B youngster Nico Gonzalez for the first team, according to Mundo Deportivo.
Gonzalez, 19, has impressed in his 16 appearances for Barca’s reserves this season. The Spain U19 international midfielder has shone with his technical abilities as well as his solid presence at the defensive end.
Barca want to offer Nico a new contract, with his current deal ending this summer, while Koeman is considering promoting the player to the first team this summer.
08.00 GMT: Real Madrid could re-sign Levante winger Jorge De Frutos if the club are unable to convince Lucas Vazquez to sign a new contract, COPE radio reports.
Madrid bought De Frutos to play for their B-team Castilla in 2018, and sold him to Levante last summer. However, they are entitled to 50% of any future transfer fee, and secured a right of first refusal in the event of a future move.
The 24-year-old has impressed for Levante this season, with three goals and seven assists in La Liga, and has attracted interest from the likes of Sevilla.
According to COPE, Madrid see him as an ideal successor to Vazquez, whose deal at the Bernabeu expires this summer.
Shaka Hislop doesn’t see Sergio Aguero making a big impact for Barcelona if the club were to sign the Man City striker.
PAPER TALK (by Danny Lewis)
Chelsea join Barca, PSG in Aguero chase
Chelsea are weighing up a move for Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero, according to the Daily Mail.
Sources told ESPN’s Mark Ogden last week that Barcelona are interested in signing the Argentina international, and the Mail reports that they have already contacted him regarding a free transfer.
Now the Blues are seemingly making enquiries into the City star’s interest in the London side. Chelsea are hopeful they can move in as the 32-year-old, whose contract at the Etihad expires in the summer, is reportedly open to staying in the Premier League.
However, there could possibly be even more competition for the striker’s signature, as Paris Saint-Germain are also said to be interested.
Juve looking at Marseille’s Milik
Arkadiusz Milik may have gone on loan from Napoli to Marseille, but Juventus are still keeping tabs on the striker, reports Calciomercato.
The Poland international’s loan at Marseille is set to run until the summer of 2022, when there is an obligation for the Ligue 1 outfit to sign him for €12m.
Juventus may aim to disrupt that though, with the futures of Cristiano Ronaldo and Paulo Dybala both unclear.
The Italian champions aren’t the only side monitoring the player, though, and they join Atletico Madrid as a possible suitor.
Fekir poised for Ligue 1 return
Stade Rennes sporting director Florian Maurice is looking to sign Real Betis midfielder Nabil Fekir, according to Foot Mercato.
The Ligue 1 club’s midfield is set to need a rebuild, with the likes of Eduardo Camavinga and Steven N’Zonzi expected to depart in the summer.
Maurice is hoping to use his good relationship with Fekir — with whom he worked alongside at Lyon — to persuade the 27-year-old to join him.
– Wolverhampton Wanderers are open to re-signing Tottenham Hotspur full-back Matt Doherty for a cut-price fee, reports Football Insider. The Irish defender has struggled since moving from Wolves to Spurs in the summer, and the London club may be willing to let him and right-back Serge Aurier leave at the end of the season.
– Mickael Cuisance has stated that he would like to stay at Marseille, where he is on loan from Bayern Munich. The 21-year-old midfielder is set to return to Bavaria in June 2021 and has a contract there that runs until 2024. Part of his decision is down to the influence of new manager Jorge Sampaoli, as he told kicker: “I have a coach here who I like and who likes to play forward.”