Luay Sako has been charged with the murder of 23-year-old Celeste Manno in Mernda.
The Roxburgh Park man will appear at the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court via an online hearing tonight.
Mr Sako was taken into police headquarters following hand surgery today.
Mr Sakwas has been under police guard in hospital since the 23-year-old call centre worker was allegedly found stabbed to death at the Mernda home she shared with family in the early hours of Monday morning.
The 35-year-old has been the main suspect in the homicide investigation.
He turned away from cameras as he was driven to police headquarters by detectives this afternoon.
Mr Sakwas was a colleague of Ms Manno’s before he was fired from the South Morang call centre they both worked at.
There has been an outpouring of grief following the death of the university graduate and volunteer.
Ms Manno’s Brother Alessandro, 19, said his sister was his best friend and they had been joined at the hip since they were children.
“No one else in this world knows me like she did … I’ve never had a bond like that and I never will again,” he said.
“I’ve never been more than two days without her … I feel like she’s going to come home from work any minute.”
Ms Manno’s boyfriend Chris Ridsdale posted a loving tribute to his partner on social media yesterday.
“We talked and joked about how this would be the first picture of us together on her social media and she was so excited to share it with everyone,” Mr Ridsdale wrote.
“I was told, very clearly, that this was to be my new profile picture.
“For those who know me and know how little I use Facebook or Instagram, you know this was something I didn’t really care much to do.
“Now it seems like the best thing I can do for her.
“To show everyone how much she meant to me and how beautiful she was.”