A MUM who lost her EYE after a firework hit her in the face “multiple times” has shared graphic photos of her horror injuries to warn others of the dangers of bonfire night.
Amber Lewis, from Cardiff, was blinded after she was hit by a pyrotechnic as she attempted to set it off.
She’s now calling for a ban on the sale of fireworks to the general public after her eye was removed in February.
“Upsetting” images released by Amber show her in hospital with her face streaked with blood.
Other photos show her swollen and sore eye during the recovery process, as well as ‘Poppy’ – her prosthetic eye.
The final photo shows Amber today, with her eye fully healed and the prosthetic in place.
The “inspiring” mother took to Facebook this week to share her story in the hopes of educating people ahead of bonfire night.
She posted the images and wrote: “Sorry if my pictures upset you – they are upsetting”.
However, she said she wanted to show her “full journey” and shared her hopes that families will be wary of home firework displays.
Amber posted: “Warn your teenage children of the true dangers.
“It’s not worth it, trust me.
“I lost my eye in February to an awful accident with a firework hitting me in the face multiple times and had my eye removed the following day – a day I’ll never forget I’m sure.
“Due to a number of operations and infections and Covid I’ve only just had Poppy – as I’ve named my fake left eye.
“The NHS were wonderful, I’ve only good things to say about the whole experience and I’m truly grateful not to be totally blind and able to live my best life.
“If I could ask one thing it would be that someone would learn from my mistake and never use a firework yourself. It was my first and last time.
“Losing my sight and looking different is a part of my journey – having the strength and the will to still be me is an achievement.”
Amber’s post quickly prompted an outpouring of support.
One woman wrote: “You’re an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your story.”
Another added: “Wow. What a story of bravery and courage, with a very happy ending. You look fantastic.”
And one person said: “I’m so sorry this has happened to you – you are so brave.”
Amber is now hoping to use her experiences to help others.
The mum added: “I’ve had so much love and support.
“Of course, there have been bad times, where I felt so hurt, alone, lost, and pain like no other.
“These times became fewer and further apart.”
Many organised events involving fireworks have been cancelled this year because of coronavirus.
Earlier this month, London mayor Sadiq Khan cancelled the capital’s annual New Year display.
Lancashire plunged into Tier 3 as Manchester stands firm in Battle of the North
‘Incest’ mom ‘raped son, 12, before warning him not to tell as he “accepted it”‘
OVERTAKEN BY DESPAIR
Sons forgive mum who tried to gas them to death with disposable BBQs
‘SHOCKED & SAD’
AC/DC bassist dies due to ‘health issues related to rock n roll lifestyle’
Grandad pleads guilty to dropping toddler to her death from ship window
He said the annual event, which attracts around 100,000 people, can’t go ahead this year because of the spread of the deadly virus.
And last year, we told the story of seven-year-old Maisie Roe, from Devon, who was scarred for life when a flare from a firework injured her during a home display.
The youngster suffered burns to her head, neck and shoulder.