No personnel allowed outside due to “shooting incident”
Originally Published: 03 AUG 21 11:05 ET
Updated: 03 AUG 21 11:24 ET
By Barbara Starr and Ellie Kaufman, CNN
(CNN) — The Pentagon is locked down with no personnel allowed outside due to a “shooting event” that happened outside the building on a bus platform, according a message that was sent to the Pentagon workforce by the Pentagon Force Protection Agency.
The event occurred outside the building on the Metro Bus platform, which is a major entrance to the Pentagon used by thousands of personnel every day entering and leaving the building.
The bus platform is used by multiple bus lines in the area.
“Right now, we’ve just confirmed that the Pentagon is on lockdown. There is an incident at the Pentagon transit center,” Pentagon Force Protection Agency spokesman Chris Layman said.
The “incident is ongoing,” Layman said. He said the scene was not safe, and he cautioned people to avoid the area.
Layman would not comment on if there was a shooter involved or if people had been injured.
This story is breaking and will be updated.
™ & © 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
THE-CNN-WIRE ™ & © 2020 CABLE NEWS NETWORK, INC., A TIME WARNER COMPANY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.