It comes after Prince Harry complained in an interview with Oprah Winfrey that “my family literally cut me off financially” in 2020.
The Sussexes have said it would be wrong to suggest Prince Harry contradicted himself, explaining that he was referring to UK fiscal reporting periods in the blockbuster interview.
“You are conflating two different timelines and it’s inaccurate to suggest that there’s a contradiction,” a spokesperson for the Sussexes said.
“The Duke’s comments during the Oprah interview were in reference to the first quarter of the fiscal reporting period in the UK, which starts annually in April.”
The report says the $8.2 million is shared between the children of Prince Charles — Prince William and Prince Harry — and their families. However, it does not say how much each prince received.
A spokesperson for Clarence House said the money was to help the pair establish themselves in the United States.
“The Prince of Wales allocated a substantial sum to support them with this transition,” a spokesperson told the BBC.
“The couple are now financially independent.”
Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex have since signed lucrative deals with streaming giants Netflix and Spotify, among other tie-ups with publishers and motivational speaking.
“I betray no confidence when I say they’ve been very successful in becoming financially independent,” the spokesperson said.
Buckingham Palace says ‘we recognise we must do more’ on diversity
Buckingham Palace has also released its royal accounts, which for the first time detailed the ethnic minority staff it employs.
Just 8.5 per cent of royal employees are from ethnic minorities compared with about 13 percent of the overall UK population, according to the last published census in 2011.
The revelation comes three months after claims of racism were made in the same Oprah interview by the Sussexes.
The couple, who stepped down from frontline royal duties in March last year, said an unnamed senior royal asked what colour skin their son, Archie, would have.
The palace disputed the claim, saying “recollections may vary”.
Prince Harry’s elder brother, Prince William, insisted: “We are very much not a racist family.”
A Buckingham Palace source told Britain’s domestic Press Association news agency that publishing the figures would improve accountability.
A target of 10 per cent has been set for 2022.
“We are not where we would like to be. It is not that we have not been progressing diversity and inclusion initiatives, it is that the results have not been what we would like,” the source said.
“We recognise we must do more. One of the key points about publishing statistics is that there’s no place to hide.”
The Guardian newspaper earlier this month reported that the royal household negotiated exemptions from 1970s-era laws against racial and gender discrimination to bar “coloured immigrants or foreigners” and only consider them for subaltern roles.
Buckingham Palace has denied the claims and says it complies with modern equality legislation.
Debate of naming of Lilibet continues with domain name registration
The Sussexes recently confirmed reports they purchased website domain names Lili Diana and Lilibet Diana before their daughter’s name was approved by Queen Elizabeth.
The domain names were bought as early as May 31, before her birth. The registration raised more questions about whether the couple asked permission to use the Queen’s childhood nickname.
A spokesperson for the couple explained a number of domains were purchased to prevent others exploiting their child’s name.
“Of course, as is often customary with public figures, a significant number of any potential names that were considered were purchased by their team to protect against the exploitation of the name once it was chosen and publicly shared,” the spokesperson said.