Thirty people, including 21 schoolchildren, have been poisoned after 250 times the normal amount of chlorine was released into a swimming pool in Russia.
Six of the children have been taken to intensive care, where they are described as being in a ‘grave’ condition.
They have suffered injury to their eyes and need oxygen support after struggling to breathe, Anastasia Krotova, spokeswoman for the region’s governor, said.
Staff who clean the Dynamo public swimming pool are responsible for an error with the chlorine, officials said.
The pool has since been closed and emergency workers in hazmat suits were pictured at the scene.
Chlorine is a chemical found in cleaning products which is used to kill bacteria in swimming pools. Consuming large quantities of the chemical can be fatal.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more stories like this, check our news page.
Get your need-to-know
latest news, feel-good stories, analysis and more
var fbApiInit=false;var awaitingReady=;