Everyone will love this classic sour cream pound cake recipe!
This buttery pound cake has a little bit of tang from sour cream and just a hint of vanilla. It’s both dense and moist that’s just right on its own or with a side of fresh fruit.
This easy recipe freezes well for the perfect dessert to serve unexpected guests or to enjoy a slice with coffee.
Perfectly Moist Pound Cake!
- No need for a mix when this scratch recipe is so easy to make!
- This recipe uses a handful of ingredients you likely have on hand.
- Make multiple loaves and freeze them for delicious desserts anytime.
- Sour cream pound cake has a tangy flavor that pairs with seasonal fruits like blueberries, strawberries, peaches, nectarines, and plums.
Ingredients and Variations
BATTER: Every cake bakes best with the freshest ingredients! Check the ‘use by’ dates on the baking powder and baking soda to ensure they are fresh.
- Real butter is best here. Use unsalted butter, if you have salted, skip the salt in the recipe.
- Use large eggs and full fat sour cream.
- All-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt make up the dry ingredients.
- I love vanilla extract, you can also add ¼ teaspoon almond extract if you’d like.
TOPPINGS: Sour cream pound cake and fruit belong together! Try with some strawberry sauce, chocolate curls, vanilla pudding fruit salad, or easy fresh fruit salad.
How to Make Sour Cream Pound Cake
This dense and moist cake is a simple dessert that is full of flavor.
- Whisk the dry ingredients (per the recipe below) in a bowl.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and mix for another 2 minutes.
- Alternate mixing in the flour and the sour cream into the batter until just combined.
- Bake (as per the recipe below).
Don’t Skimp on The Beating Time
Beat the butter for the full 10 minutes. This incorporates lots of air giving ensuring the best texture and rise.
Once the other ingredients are added, mix just until combined.
Storing Pound Cake
Keep leftovers in a covered container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Freeze whole loaves by wrapping them in plastic wrap and then aluminum foil for up to 5 months.
Did you make this Sour Cream Pound Cake? Leave us a comment and a rating below!
Sour Cream Pound Cake
This flavorful sour cream pound cake is so perfectly moist.
Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease and flour an 8×4 loaf pan.
Combine the flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
Place butter and sugar in a stand mixer and beat until light and fluffy on medium speed, about 10 minutes.
Add the eggs and vanilla and mix for an additional 2 minutes.
Turn the mixer to low and take turns adding the flour mixture and the sour cream until the batter is just combined.
Pour into the prepared pan and cook for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Cool for 10 minutes then remove from the pan and let cool completly on a baking rack.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 224 | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0.3g | Cholesterol: 67mg | Sodium: 103mg | Potassium: 55mg | Fiber: 0.4g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 355IU | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 24mg | Iron: 1mg
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.