- WalletHub published a study that found the worst states for singles when it comes to dating.
- The study took three criteria into consideration: dating opportunities, dating economics, and romance/fun.
- Southern states like Alabama, South Carolina, and Mississippi were found to be some of the worst states for singles.
- Out of all 50 states, West Virginia was deemed the worst for dating.
- Visit Insider’s homepage for more stories.
It’s no secret that dating is hard. But it turns out that it’s even more difficult in certain areas of the US.
WalletHub published a study that found the worst states in the country for singles when it comes to dating. The company took three criteria into consideration: dating opportunities, dating economics, and romance/fun.
For dating opportunities, the company examined the number of singles, the gender balance, and the number of people who are open to dating in the area. In the dating economics category, WalletHub researched how much it costs to go on a date, including beer, movie, and haircut prices. They even looked at the level of income. Lastly, the company counted the number of restaurants, movie theatres, and parks in each state for the romance/fun category.
When WalletHub added these numbers up, they found which states are the worst for singles looking for love.
See below for the 15 worst states for dating — and how they ranked in the different categories.