President Trump on Wednesday declined to directly address Chinese tech company Huawei’s allegations of US cyberattacks, as he called the matter a “national security concern.”
“Huawei is a big concern of our military, of our intelligence agencies, and we are not doing business with Huawei,” the president told reporters at the White House.
“And we’ll see what happens with respect to China, but Huawei has been not a player that we want to discuss, (that) we want to talk about right now.”
He added: “We’re not going to be doing business with Huawei. We’re going to do our own business.”
The company alleged that US authorities tried to break into its information systems and coerce its workers to gather information on the company.
Huawei — which faces increasing US pressure including possible loss of access to American technology — claimed in a statement that Washington has used “unscrupulous means” in recent months to disrupt its business.
US officials have provided no evidence to support claims Huawei might aid Chinese spying, allegations the company denies.
In addition to the US, Australia, Japan and several other governments have imposed restrictions on use of technology from Huawei, the No. 2 global smartphone brand and the biggest maker of network gear for phone companies.
Huawei, headquartered in the southern city of Shenzhen, said in a statement that FBI agents had pressured its workers to collect information on the company.
It added that US authorities launched cyberattacks against it, but gave no indication whether they succeeded.
The Reuters news agency cited a Huawei document it said reported eight staffers — all mid- to high-level executives, including several US citizens — were involved in the incidents.
It said the latest occurred on Aug. 28, when a worker informed Huawei the FBI asked the person to be an informant.
Beijing has accused Washington of improperly using national security arguments to hurt Chinese commercial competitors.
“This kind of behavior is neither glorious nor moral,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said Wednesday.
Trump has previously said he would be open to including Huawei in discussions to reach a trade deal with China. In May, the US placed Huawei on the Commerce Department’s so-called Entity List amid national security concerns.
“This is the worst year that they’ve had in 57 years, and they want to make a deal,” Trump said Wednesday. “In the meantime, we’re making a lot of money. This is a trade war, trade battle, call it anything you want.”
With Post wires
Credit: Source link