VFD will partner with the National Fire Protection Association
VICTORIA, Texas – The Victoria Fire Department plans to team up with the National Fire Protection Association to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Fire Prevention Week, Oct. 9 through 15.
This year’s Fire Prevention Week campaign, “Fire won’t wait. Plan your escape,” will educate residents about simple, yet important, actions residents can take to protect themselves and others from house fires.
The City of Victoria, Texas Fire Department will host a Fire Prevention Week poster contest. It will also visit local schools in honor of Fire Prevention Week.
The Victoria Fire Department provided the following fire escape planning tips for residents to follow:
- Make sure your plan meets the needs of all your family members, including those with sensory or physical disabilities.
- Smoke alarms should be installed inside every sleeping room, outside each separate sleeping area, and on every level of your home. Smoke alarms should be interconnected so when one sounds, they all sound.
- Know at least two ways out of every room, if possible. Make sure all doors and windows open easily.
- Have an outside meeting place a safe distance from your home where everyone should meet.
- Practice your home fire drill at least twice a year with everyone in the household, including guests. Practice at least once during the day and at night.
You can learn more about Victoria Fire Department events and programs by visiting www.victoriatx.gov/fire. You can also learn more about fire prevention strategies and Fire Prevention Week by visiting www.fpw.org and www.sparky.org.
The City of Victoria provided the above information and photo.
COPYRIGHT 2022 BY CROSSROADS TODAY. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. THIS MATERIAL MAY NOT BE PUBLISHED, BROADCAST, REWRITTEN OR REDISTRIBUTED.