Instagram is always adding new and exciting features to keep its users entertained.
Changes to messaging, Reels, algorithms, feeds and settings occur all the time, but the latest update concerns messaging.
The app just dropped an interesting new update in March 2022 that has added seven new messaging features.
Read on to find out more…
Instagram announces new messaging features
On March 31st, Instagram CEO Adam Mosseri took to Twitter to announce a variety of new messaging features with the app’s latest update.
“At the beginning of the year, I talked about how important messaging is to the future of Instagram. So, today I wanted to walk through a couple of hidden gems, new messaging features that you might not know about,” he said.
Instagram also revealed the new features in a blog post in which they said:
“Today, we’re introducing seven new messaging features. As we announced at the end of last year, we’re making more investments in messaging on Instagram to help you connect with your closest friends in more seamless and fun ways.”
“This announcement is part of our ongoing work to improve how you connect and share with your closest friends,” the social media site continued.
There are seven new messaging features in total…
- Reply while you browse: This feature lets you reply to a message without going to your inbox, meaning you can instantly respond whilst scrolling through your feed.
- Quickly send to friends: You can now share posts more effortlessly with friends by tapping and holding the share button.
- See who’s online: At the top of your inbox, you can see who’s online and free to chat at that present moment.
- Play, pause, and re-play: New integrations with Apple Music, Amazon Music and Spotify mean you can now share a 30-second preview of a song with your friends in a DM.
- Send messages quietly: You can also now send messages without notifying friends by adding “@silent” in your message.
- Keep it on the lo-fi: The new lo-fi chat theme lets you change your chat background to a relaxing picture of a city skyline and cat.
- Create a poll with your squad: The new update also lets you create a poll within a group chat.
Only available in select countries
Instagram has revealed that the new messaging features are currently only available in certain countries. However, there are plans for them to be rolled out globally.
Right now, it’s not clear which countries the features are available in, but Instagram said:
“These new features are available in select countries, with plans to expand globally. This is part of our ongoing work to improve how you connect and share with your closest friends. Stay tuned for more fun ways to connect.”
In other news, Who is Brandi Carlile as Alicia Keys gushes over her “true sister”?