Miramax may have found its new leader. Jonathan Glickman, the former MGM executive, is in talks to join Miramax as its CEO, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.
He would step in for former CEO Bill Block, who departed last year after a six-year run.
Glickman served as motion group president at MGM for nine years, where under his tenure James Bond became a billion-dollar franchise. He also shepherded the rejuvenation of the Rocky franchise, relaunching it as the Creed movie series starring Michael B. Jordan. He departed the studio at the top of 2020 for a first-look producing deal with MGM, and two years later launched Panoramic Media.
As part of his deal to become CEO, Miramax would acquire Panoramic, which has its hand in several noteworthy properties, including the Addams Family animated movies and the Netflix Addams-centric series Wednesday, which helped propel star Jenna Ortega to the A-list.
Prior to running MGM, Glickman spent the first decade of the 2000s as president of production at Spyglass, racking up credits on such as the Rush Hour trilogy and the Shanghai Noon movies.
Harvey and Bob Weinstein founded Miramax in 1979, with the studio making a home at Disney from 1993-2010, making movies such as Pulp Fiction and Shakespeare in Love. It is now owned by Qatar-based sports and entertainment company BeIn, which has a 51 percent stake, and Paramount, which owns the other 49 percent.
In recent years, Miramax has been more known for its library of 700 films rather than introducing new titles into the marketplace, though the company is hoping to ramp up its film and TV output. Over the past five years its films have included the Guy Ritchie feature The Gentlemen, which starred Matthew McConaughey and has a Netflix series bowing in March, as well as Ritchie’s Jason Statham actioner The Wrath of Men. It is currently in theaters with David Ayer’s The Beekeeper, also starring Statham. On the TV front, it acquired the small screen rights to the horror series Halloween late last year.
Borys Kit contributed to this report.