Former NRL star turned boxer Paul Gallen has taken aim at a proposed boxing turn for reality TV star Arabella del Busso.
Del Busso was meant to make her debut on the stacked undercard for Gallen’s fight against NRL star Josh Aloiai — until it was put on ice when the Sea Eagles forward contracted Covid-19.
Watch Boxing Live & On-Demand on Kayo. Selected international fights, classic bouts and more. New to Kayo? Start Your Free Trial >
No Limit Boxing is looking for an alternative date for what was planned as a two-day boxing event but Gallen isn’t convinced his fight against Aloiai will go ahead.
“I texted Josh Aloiai myself … I said what’s going on … you might be able to fight on the 22nd but he has put it back on Manly and has said Manly won’t let him fight after the 10th (of December),” Gallen told WWOS Radio.
“I am very very doubtful I will be fighting Josh Aloiai.”
Gallen was also asked about the boxing debut of del Busso, who was scheduled to fight on his undercard — before the positive Covid test was revealed.
The former SAS Australia contestant confirmed to The Daily Telegraph she would fight former runway model and Jeff Fenech charge Kate McLaren on the undercard. It’s uncertain if the fight will still go ahead on a revised card at a new date.
Del Busso told The Daily Telegraph she “feels ready” for the challenge “with what I have been through in the last two years”.
She first made headlines because of her messy relationship breakdown with rugby league star Josh Reynolds and last year spoke out about her past while competing on Channel 7’s SAS Australia.
Accusations of fake pregnancies and violence brought del Busso and Reynolds’ relationship into the limelight. Reynolds was accused of assaulting del Busso, whose real name is Donna Preusker, but those charges were dropped in February 2020.
Gallen was asked about del Busso’s boxing debut on WWOS Radio this week and said he had no control over who fought on his undercard — but made his feelings about her clear.
“I know Josh really well and what happened there was disgraceful,” Gallen said.
“I have no control over who’s on the undercard to be honest. I wouldn’t not fight because of that reason, but no, I wouldn’t support it.
“I wouldn’t support that particular person, not my cup of tea at all.
“Josh is a great guy, always been to me, and I felt terribly sorry for what happened there.
“But I have no control over who fights on the undercard.”
While the future card of a rescheduled fight night has not yet been finalised, No Limit is expected to announced a “pre-Christmas” event, expected to be on December 22.
But No Limit CEO George Rose said it’s unlikely Gallen will be able to fight on the card.
“While I’m sure sports fans are disappointed to hear the news the Gallen v Aloiai fight is being postponed, our primary concern is that Josh is OK and I wish him all the best with his recovery and return to pre-season training with Manly,” Rose said via a Facebook statement. “We are disappointed that Gal doesn’t have the chance to be involved in a rescheduled event, it is just not possible to find a credible opponent this side of Christmas.
“Losing the headline fight for our big two day event in Newcastle means we need to rethink how we can still deliver an event before Christmas that showcases the NRL players and high profile boxers we had locked in.
“We still have some world class boxers and intriguing match ups with the boxing debut of NRL hit man Joey Leilua fighting NRL hardman, Chris Heighington, Olympic bronze medallist Harry Garside’s professional debut, former world champ Andrew Moloney & other former and current NRL players including Nathan Ross & Tim Simona.”