Tim Tszyu vs Jermell Charlo; 100 days to go, when is the fight, Charles Conwell, news, updates
Tim Tszyu’s team is hoping to hire undefeated American prospect Charles Conwell – a fighter all hyped future, and tragic past – among a trio of sparring partners they believe can help Australia’s boxing face become undisputed super welterweight champion.
Exactly 100 days out from his Las Vegas blockbuster with superstar Jermell Charlo, Fox Sports Australia can reveal the three US boxers Team Tszyu are planning to hire as part of their preparations.
Watch Boxing Live & On-Demand on Kayo. Selected international fights, classic bouts and more. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >
Wilder returns with MONSTER 1st round KO | 00:47
Speaking from his Sydney home this week, the undefeated 27-year-old revealed his entire crew will shift Stateside from late November to ramp up preparations with an elite group of sparring partners handpicked by his team.
And the name topping that list is 24-year-old Conwell – an undefeated Detroit product who, like Tszyu, wants to next year become the world’s No.1 super welterweight.
Dubbed ‘Bad News’, Conwell is currently undefeated in 17 fights, ranked inside the world top 10 and hailed by promoter Lou DiBella as “one of the best young fighters in the world”.
Only three years ago however, Conwell almost quit the sport after a knockout win over Patrick Day tragically resulted in the 27-year-old dying days later from brain trauma suffered during the bout.
So rocked was Conwell by the situation, he contemplated quitting the sport before eventually returning, winning six straight and catapulting himself into the mix for those same titles Tszyu will contest in Las Vegas on January 29 (AEST).
It means that apart from becoming sparring partners now, the pair of rising stars could eventually square off for all four belts themselves in 2023.
Asked about his own world title dreams recently, the 2016 Olympian and 11-time national champion said: “I’ll be breathing down the neck of Jermell Charlo by the end of this year.
“I’m confident I’ll be in a mandatory challenger position where he has no choice but to fight me.
“And as my nickname suggests, I am Bad News for the 154lbs division because I’m coming for those titles. And I will get them, mark my words.
“I’m ready to step up and become world champion … it’s something I am destined to do.”
Apart from Conwell, the other fighters Team Tszyu are looking to bring into camp for the biggest fight of the boxer’s life are 19-year-old amateur star Quincy Williams — who earlier this year won a National Golden Gloves title — and middleweight contender D’Mitrius Ballard.
Ballard (21-1-1) suffered only the first loss of his career back in February, when stopped by undefeated Mexican superstar Jaime Munguia.
Importantly, his size and power are considered the perfect preparation for Charlo, whose strength in both hands is well documented.
Asked about the decision to spend two months Stateside with his new crew of sparring partners, Tszyu replied: “As Eminem says, you only get one chance, one opportunity.
“And this is mine.
“So that’s why I’ve got complete tunnel vision for this preparation.
“Removed all distractions.
“I’m here to win.”
Elsewhere, Tszyu will also make his second trip of the year to Thailand in coming weeks, with the fighter keen to work at famed MMA gym Tiger Muay Thai.
Quizzed on his decision to spend so much of this camp at the gym used by Australian UFC stars Alexander Volkanovski and Tai Tuivasa, Tszyu said the country put him in the “right mind” for fighting.
“Because again, you’re away from everything,” he says.
“Here in Australia we’re spoiled with so many luxuries.
“But over in Thailand, people work for every penny.
“So you see how hungry the fighters are. And being around them, it really puts you in the same mindset.”